Pages

Thursday, November 23, 2006

No Rest For Me On The Weekends

This weekend I had book signings in Wheaton, Illinois and West Dundee, Illinois, both suburbs of Chicago. At the Wheaton signing I met an absolutely lovely woman who told me that she’d spent the last twenty five years of her life photographing ghost towns in the Old West. I wish we’d had more time to talk—before she left she did tell me that any writer writing the west would be well served to spend some time in the library at the University of Montana.

And speaking of Montana, at the West Dundee signing, I met a man who was interested in my first book, STAY WITH ME, which is set in 1888 Wyoming Territory. When I told him that I had spent a week at a dude ranch near Sheridan, Wyoming, when I was researching the book, we had a nice discussion about the differences between Wyoming and Montana, where his son currently lives.

The opportunity to meet new people is the very best thing about doing a book signing. I’m gearing up for the day after Thanksgiving when I’ll be signing at the local mall. I suspect I’ll be well versed in giving directions to the nearest gift wrapping station and the restrooms.

Beverly Long
www.beverlylong.com

1 comment:

Donna D said...

Wow, a black Friday book signing? Talk about a crowd. Let us know how it goes. I hope you sell a ton of books!