Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Writers Conferences

Most of us have been to a writers conference to two. We have enjoyed ourselves and made new contacts. We use the trip as a business expense. Still why do we really attend these conferences? The answer for me is networking and a chance to learn something about this industry. Many of us are great and soon to be great writers. Some of us are adept at the business of writing. For myself, I enjoy networking and finding new ways to get people to notice my work and by connection to notice me.

I attended the one day session at the PPW conference in Colorado Springs on advanced marketing. A number of the writers were shy or shall I say quiet about their works. Of course when you ask about what they were doing, then the floodgates opened. For myself, I had no problem with talking about what I did. I also know that as an actor I have an advantage. I don't care if people think I look a fool. What I have to say is not foolish and the best way to get people to notice what I have to offer is to get noticed.

So why writers conferences? To learn from others and to have others learn from me. That is the best of both worlds.

No comments: