Pages

Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Why We Write What We Write



By Velda Brotherton

Most of us have good reasons for writing each and every book. But have you ever wondered where those ‘good reasons’ are born? Is it really voices that won’t leave you alone, or does it go deeper?

When I began the Victorian series, a story of an English settlement in Kansas, it didn’t occur to me why I was so interested. I thought it was only because my husband and I visited Victoria, Kansas after a couple of book signings in Holton and Circleville.

My great-grandmother was a Victorian. She traveled to Kansas in a covered wagon when she was 13. Not to Victoria, but still there was the real connection. I sat at her feet many times and listened to her tales about that trip. This was the answer to why I was so interested in this subject. Why I had to write, not one book but a series about Victorians in Kansas.

It has occurred to me over the years in the researching and writing of 25 published and uncounted unpublished books, that we write about the curiosities that reside in our brain. Those that ask us who, what, where, when, why and how. Much like the reporter who must answer those questions in each story, we as fiction and nonfiction writers are plagued by them each time we sit down to write.

When I was a child my father went on a hunting trip each fall to Montana or Wyoming. I looked up the states, saw photos of majestic mountains, glorious valleys cut by ribbons of shimmering rivers, read about the historic battles between American Indians and soldiers. Even then I was hooked by an avid curiosity.

When I wrote my first western historical romances, I set them in Montana and spent months on research to make sure I had everything correct from the animals, trees, flowers, to the locales and dates of battles. All this because my mind had held on to that childhood curiosity. It became my way of going there.

While visiting my brother, the one in Circleville, he mentioned a gold mine there, the only one in Kansas. He took me out to look at it from a distance because it was on private property. It was a couple of years before those memories stored in the file cabinet in my mind hopped out and said it was time to learn more about this. Time to write a book about it.
                                                         
Ask yourself why you wrote your last book. What inquiries kept bothering you until you had to find the answers? I think you’ll find each and every book you wrote began with those niggling desires to learn the who or why or how of something. We’re told writers begin by saying what if? Others claim it’s the character. But it goes deeper than that. We are so thirsty for knowledge that we cannot resist that frantic dig into a subject that has haunted us. We’re hooked by our own need to know more.

Velda Brotherton writes of romance in the old west with an authenticity that makes her many historical characters ring true. A knowledge of the rich history of our country comes through in both her fiction and nonfiction books, as well as in her writing workshops and speaking engagements.  She just as easily steps out of the past into contemporary settings to create novels about women with the ability to conquer life’s difficult challenges. Tough heroines, strong and gentle heroes, villains to die for, all live in the pages of her novels and books.



17 comments:

Gayle Gresham said...

What a great line, Velda! "We write about the curiosities that reside in our brain." Exactly!

Brigid Amos said...

I love your reference to "uncounted unpublished books!" It is true that sometimes what we write really is just for ourselves, even when we don't know it at the time. And there is nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerened.

Alice Trego said...

I really enjoyed this post! I am most intrigued by those little nuggets of history I discover when I'm deeply entrenched in research for another subject. More often than not I get caught up in the research so I can learn more, and "more" sometimes is not enough!

Anne Schroeder Author said...

Great post. And food for thought. I write about subjects that touch my heart and intrigue me as well. My historical western series is set in my hometown, in the two previous centuries before I lived there. I'm working my way up to the time that I lived there to remind us that many people's struggles brought us to where we are today.

Arletta Dawdy said...

Velda, Your "curiosities" have resulted in some mighty fine work. I recently read BEYOND THE MOON and often put it aside. I needed to feel and think about my own experience married to a Vietnam vet whose PTSD was much milder but still very traumatic for our family. I think when a writer touches others' curiosities, a special connection occurs, one that drives the reader to touch on their own lives. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Great post! I think this said it all, I think you’ll find each and every book you wrote began with those niggling desires to learn the who or why or how of something. Yes. This is why we write. Well done.

Unknown said...

Great post! I think this said it all, I think you’ll find each and every book you wrote began with those niggling desires to learn the who or why or how of something. Yes. This is why we write. Well done.

Unknown said...

Great post! I think this said it all, I think you’ll find each and every book you wrote began with those niggling desires to learn the who or why or how of something. Yes. This is why we write. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post! I am happy to read all its effects in the writing service website because you are providing really helpful materials for all student. neurosurgery personal statement

Roy said...

If any student want to get physically education then it is best opportunity for them that they can get help from our writers. They have ability to write all your academic problem and tell us how we can solve it. So just visit our services and get a lot of advantage in their writing work.visit the website

aliyaa said...

Awesome post. this website have been helping students with writing a claim letter for several years and we can provide you with the help that you need to submit a letter that will get your appeal noticed.

Unknown said...

There is a good would like of development of various interchange programs. These interchange programs facilitate students lots in causing them to different countries. personal statement for internal medicine

Unknown said...

Thanks Velda Brotherton for this post. To know about nyu application essay good site Writing makes a man unmodified and more creative even from in front. As writing is a tool to generates change and supplement writing bibliography concepts and following people thinks to part it proud others as subsequent to then ease.

Anonymous said...

Why We Write What We Write this is very effective post for any one. I think you have done a great job. Great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. From this blog I have got good and valuable information. But you can explore more about post.

Unknown said...

Good to know your writing.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Assessing your own personal statement for university entry can be hard. This guide is really a practical guide full of motivational and relatively easy to follow along with tips about the best way best to edit a exclusive announcement - this guide will let you know all that you want to understand, about building and editing tension on your own writing. click to read and know your best to writing your papers.