Pages

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Preserving History


They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. Perhaps a picture can create a thousand words. The picture on the right is of the Hornbeck Homestead near Cripple Creek, Colorado. The history of this homestead is great reading. The written word tells the story, but the picture reinforces what the writer is writing.
What we as writers do can be complimented by what the photographer does. The photo was taken by my friend Nadine Keaney and I have it setting on my computer to remind me of what it might have been like back in the 'good old days'. It is an inspiration to me and a reminder that what came before. It informs what I do and what I hope to share with the reader. That history is something to be shared and learned from. To honor it and still see it with the rose colored glasses off.
To me that is preserving history. That is why I joined Women Writing the West.

No comments: