Pages

Sunday, July 08, 2007




JULY READING GROUP






"Unsinkable: The Molly Brown Story" is my fourth biography, and the third I have written for the "Now You Know Bio" series from Filter Press.

Readers enjoy it on many levels. Young people can use these books for reports because of the research involved and the required non-fiction elements included, such as glossary, timeline, bibliography, index, and so on. Adult readers like these biographies because they are a quick, fun, and easy way to learn elements of history in a researched format they can enjoy and trust for historic accuracy.

The book recently received a silver CIPA EVVY award in the 2007 juvenile division. CIPA is the Colorado Independent Publishers' Association. My books are special because I work hard to bring history alive for the reader while incorporating my journalism degree and genealogy background with my intensive research methods. I dig for quotations, so the character can speak in his/her own voice, and I use historic photos and graphics contemporary to the life of the subject. For instance, although the "Unsinkable" topic is not new, this book contains newspaper graphics which have not seen the light of day since the Titanic sank in 1912. It stands out for its non-fiction format, which includes previously overlooked elements of Mrs. Brown's life. Joyce B. Lohse


Contact the author and buy the book here and join us at our reading forum. Discussion is open to the public and for anyone who loves historic writing. ~ Mod.

No comments: